How to Winterize/Close a Chlorine or Bromine Pool
- The day before closing, make sure your pool is clean and balanced.
- That evening, shock the pool with double the amount of pool shock normally used throughout the pool season.
- The next morning vacuum the pool to waste dropping the water level 2 to 3 inches below the skimmer.
- Put winter plugs in inlets after taking off the “inlet cover and eyeball”.
- Add 1 quart concentrated algicide, diluted in a bucket of water.
- Secure air pillow into place after blowing it up (do not fill all the way).
- Add left over chlorine or bromine to winter floater and put in pool.
- Take filter hoses off skimmer and filter and store in garage or basement.
- Drain filter and pump by taking off drain cap located at bottom of filter. Put vari-flo valve in between any two positions (or newer models – winterize position). This allows any water that maybe trapped in the “head” to run out and therefore prevent freezing and cracking the head. Put drain cap, pressure gauge, etc. into strainer basket (located in pump) and store in garage or basement. Also remove and store skimmer basket.
- Put winter cover on, allowing the cover to drape down on top of the water. Tighten the cable around pool so that no air can get underneath and cause it to blow and tear the cover. You may want to use cover seal wrap to also aid in preventing this.
- For rectangle pools with a large deck, use water tubes to hold the cover down and add extra protection against wind.
- If using a brominator/chlorinator, remove bromine/chlorine, clean thoroughly and store in garage or basement.
How to Winterize/Close a SoftSwim® Pool
Follow the steps below when you’re ready to close your pool for the cold weather season.
- Go to your BioGuard Dealer for a complete water analysis.
- Balance pool water according to the Dealer’s winter instructions.
- Brush and vacuum pool with BioGuard handheld accessories.
- Backwash and chemically clean filter with SoftSwim Filter Cleaner.
- Add initial dose of SoftSwim A (1 quart per 25,000 gallons of water).
- Add SoftSwim C (1 gallon per 10,000 gallons). Wait 3 hours.
- Add SoftSwim B to top up to 50 ppm.
- Run filter continuously for 24-48 hours.
- Winterize equipment according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Follow recommended water draining and covering procedures appropriate to weather conditions in your area.